Arsenal are going through a difficult spell but I believe in Wenger - Pires

Forum 9 years ago

Arsenal are going through a difficult spell but I believe in Wenger - Pires

Robert Pires believes that Arsenalfans should retain faith in Arsene Wengerdespite the Gunners' indifferent start to the season.
The north Londoners sit sixth in the table after defeat to Swansea City and have scraped just four Premier League wins in 11 games so far this season, while qualification for the knockout stages of the Champions League is yet to be secured after Anderlecht came from three goals down to draw 3-3 at the Emirates Stadium.
[ads4]
But the Arsenal legend backs his compatriot to continue to build on his legacy at the club.
When asked if Wenger should step down, Pires toldGoal: "For me, that’s a difficult question for me to answer because I love Arsenal and like Arsene Wenger.
"Wenger built this club over the past 18 seasons and the past should not be forgotten.
"I understand, at present, it's difficult for the team, I understand sometimes, but don't forget he has spent a lot of money on [Mesut] Ozil, [Alexis] Sanchez, [Danny] Welbeck and [Calum] Chambers. Sometimes you can buy very good players but the pitch is the history.
"I know it's difficult for Wenger at the moment but I have always believed in him, this team and the players."
Wenger has come in for criticism for failing to sign suitable defensive cover this summer but the Frenchman spent around €44 million on Alexis, whom Pires believes has been the Gunners' star player so far this season.
"When you talk about Arsenal, at the moment Alexis Sanchez in their best player because he has a lot of experience with Chile and also played at the World Cup," he enthused.
"He has also played for Barcelona, learning a lot at the highest level and is now at Arsenal. He is a great player and I hope for Arsenal that they win some titles this season."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
EPL Title: Arsene Wenger reveals one advantage Arsenal have over Man City
Forum | 23 hours ago

EPL Title: Arsene Wenger reveals one advantage Arsenal have over Man City

EPL: It’s not over yet – Declan Rice on title race after Arsenal defeat
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: It’s not over yet – Declan Rice on title race after Arsenal defeat

EPL: It’s gone 100% – Merson slams Arteta as Arsenal lose in title race
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: It’s gone 100% – Merson slams Arteta as Arsenal lose in title race