Arteta: Loss to Manchester United was Arsenal's best display

Forum 9 years ago

Arteta: Loss to Manchester United was Arsenal's best display

Despite being beaten 2-1 at home to confirm the Gunners' worst start to a season in 32 years, the midfielder was impressed by his team-mates' attacking flair on Saturday

Mikel Arteta knows Arsenal must be more ruthless after a defeat to Manchester United that the midfielder described as "not fair", as he feels it was his side's best display so far this season.
[ads4]
United were 2-1 winners at the Emirates Stadium to move above Arsene Wenger's side in the Premier League table on Saturday and condemn the Gunners to their worst start to a season for 32 years.

Captain Arteta felt the defeat was harsh on Arsene Wenger's side, but realises they must make the most of their dominance in matches if they are to challenge for honours.

"I'm shocked," Arteta told reporters.

"I think we played our best game this season – the quality in the way we attacked, how we won the ball back, how consistent we were throughout, the amount of chances we created.

"When you are in the box and you can't manage to score in that many situations, you can't expect to win. It’s not fair for the players and the fans. How can I explain the result? I can't.

"I am shocked and frustrated because we did not deserve this result considering the opposition we were playing against.

"I can only put it down to bad luck on the first goal which totally changed the game, at a time when we were absolutely controlling and hammering United.

"After they took the lead we had to take more risks to try to get back into the game and United have the players up front to cause you problems at any time.

"But I feel so sorry for the lads and for our supporters because they were terrific and I don't think we deserved this result."

He added: "It's [a lack of] ruthlessness, for sure. When you are in the box and you can't manage to score in that many situations, you can't expect to win."

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
EPL Title: Arsene Wenger reveals one advantage Arsenal have over Man City
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL Title: Arsene Wenger reveals one advantage Arsenal have over Man City

Chippa United target Black Stars goalie as potential replacement for Nwabali
Forum | 1 day ago

Chippa United target Black Stars goalie as potential replacement for Nwabali

Top 10 Best Jason Statham Movies
Forum | 1 day ago

Top 10 Best Jason Statham Movies

3 Body Problem Season 2 Update Given by Creator: ‘Really Wild in the Best Possible Way’
Forum | 3 days ago

3 Body Problem Season 2 Update Given by Creator: ‘Really Wild in the Best Possible Way’