Twitter reacts to all-white Oscars acting nominations

Forum 9 years ago

Twitter reacts to all-white Oscars acting nominations

Although there were tons of snubs and surprises from Thursday’s Oscars nomination announcement, one thing stood out more than the rest…the Best Act Actor/Actress categories are filled with only white men and women.

The most obvious snub from the group is David Oyelowo whose portrayal ofMartin Luther King Jr.in the movie,Selmahas been widely applauded, thus leaving Twitter users really unhappy.

‘Oscars as white as the midterm election,’ one user wrote while another showed even more outrage by tweeting: ‘I cannot believe there is not one non-white nominee in the acting categories. That is appalling. #OscarNoms.’

Not only were the acting categories filled with white men and women, the Academy also seemed to snub women as a whole in other major categories such as directing and original/adapted screenplay. We’re looking at you, Angelina Jolie, Gillian Flynn and Ava DuVernay.
[ads4]
‘I guess white men can *finally* have their day in the sun, you know? #OscarNoms,’ tweeted another user.
The last time the acting contenders were only white was in 2011, before then, it hadn’t occurred since 1998.
See more tweets disparaging the Oscars this year below…
all white errythang #OscarN oms #wtf

— Kevin McHale (@druidDUDE) January 15, 2015
Clearly black lives DON’T matter to #Oscars 2015. Nothing but white people in Acting categories. #DavidO yelowodeserved #OscarN oms.

— Christina Raia (@Craia9) January 15, 2015
The noms are 98% white. Like the most obviously white group in a long time. I’m PISSED about the David Oyelowo snub.
— delaney (@delaneynovinka) January 15, 2015
#Oscars SoWhiteThey’ve asked Fred Armisen to play Obama in the opening number.
— The Daily Edge (@TheDailyEdge) January 15, 2015
Fifty Shades of White #OscarN oms
— The Daily Edge (@TheDailyEdge) January 15, 2015
AND THE NOMINEES ARE: White Person White Person White Person White Person and finally, White Person #OscarN oms
— YeaYouRite (@YeaYouRite) January 15, 2015
Wonder if Lego Movie would have been nominated if all the legos were white #OscarN oms
— Alex Hurst (@AlexSHurst) January 15, 2015

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Jemima Osunde Reacts After Trolls Slammed Her for Defending Pastor Paul Enenche
Forum | 2 days ago

Jemima Osunde Reacts After Trolls Slammed Her for Defending Pastor Paul Enenche

Buhari’s Ex-aide Reacts As APC Suspends Ganduje
Forum | 3 days ago

Buhari’s Ex-aide Reacts As APC Suspends Ganduje

I
Forum | 3 days ago

I'm Not Scared - Destiny Etiko Reacts After Two Prophets Warned Her About Some Colleagues’ Plans To End Her Life

EPL: They’re not out of title race – Gary Neville reacts to Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Villa
Forum | 3 days ago

EPL: They’re not out of title race – Gary Neville reacts to Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Villa