Lil Wayne Claims He Once Recorded 53 Songs In One Night

Forum 4 years ago

Lil Wayne Claims He Once Recorded 53 Songs In One Night

The Young Money rapper has hundreds of unreleased songs in the vault.

Lil Wayne released his latest album, Funeral, in late January, but the tireless rapper has plenty of unreleased material left over. In a recent MTV Fresh Out interview, the New Orleans native estimated he has hundreds of unreleased songs stashed away. He also recalled one particularly prolific night when he recorded 53 songs.

When host Jamila Mustafa mentioned that Wayne has over 80 songs in his vault, the prolific MC scoffed at the number. He followed up by appearing to confirm he has over 200 or 300 unreleased songs.

“Put it like this sweetheart,” he said. “When you leave the session and you ask, ‘Can I get what I got from what I did tonight,’ and it comes back, it’s files of what you’ve done for that night. My last file was 53. You said 80 something, I did 53 songs that night.”

Tunechi is known for his marathon studio sessions and putting out hundreds of freestyles during the height of the “Mixtape Wayne” era in the mid-2000s. Coming off the success of Tha Carter II, he recorded enough material for multiple volumes of the Dedication and Da Drought mixtape series.

In 2007, Wayne’s prolific output ended up backfiring on him when a slew of leaks intended for Tha Carter III caused the album to be pushed back and delayed to the next year.

More recently, fans heard bits and pieces of his long-delayed Tha Carter V while it was held in limbo for nearly five years due to label issues with Cash Money. In September 2019, a 20-track leak of the purported original album surfaced online.

As for Funeral, Young Money President Mack Maine estimated in a Complex interview that the album’s 24 tracks were whittled down from a selection of roughly 100 songs.

“He’s in the studio every night. So imagine how many songs were accumulated within that period,” he said. “He narrowed it down from a hundred-something songs to around 60. Let’s just say 60, because it might’ve been like 50s. Then I narrowed that down to 24.”

Watch the full interview above, and read all the lyrics to Lil Wayne’s Funeral on Genius now.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Most Hit Songs in Nigeria Are Not Good Music – Singer Ric Hassani
Forum | 1 day ago

Most Hit Songs in Nigeria Are Not Good Music – Singer Ric Hassani

The Watchers Trailer: Dakota Fanning Stars in Ishana Night Shyamalan’s Directorial Debut
Forum | 2 days ago

The Watchers Trailer: Dakota Fanning Stars in Ishana Night Shyamalan’s Directorial Debut

APC Reacts to Claims That Presidency Is Involved In Ganduje’s Suspension
Forum | 4 days ago

APC Reacts to Claims That Presidency Is Involved In Ganduje’s Suspension

Trap Trailer Previews New M. Night Shyamalan Thriller Movie With Josh Hartnett
Forum | 6 days ago

Trap Trailer Previews New M. Night Shyamalan Thriller Movie With Josh Hartnett