Expert says one Shisha session equals 100 cigarette sticks

Forum 4 years ago

Expert says one Shisha session equals 100 cigarette sticks

It appears that Shisha is not as safe as it looks.

Environmental activist and anti-tobacco advocate, Akinbode Oluwafemi, says it is untrue that Shisha is safer than cigarette.

Addressing youths at a sensitisation programme organised by the Nigeria Tobacco Control Alliance and the Federal Ministry of Health in Abuja on Wednesday, March 11, 2020, Oluwafemi noted that a session of Shisha is about a hundred sticks of cigarette.

"Those saying Shisha is safer than cigarette are being economical with the truth," he said to an audience of young Nigerians, advertising practitioners and law enforcement agents.

"Shisha is tobacco; pure and simple. A session of Shisha is 100 sticks of cigarette. There's nothing safe about it. The flavours will not make you realise the health risk you're exposing yourself and others to.

"You have people say I don't smoke cigarette but I smoke Shisha. It's the same thing if not worse" he announced.

Oluwafemi, who doubles as the deputy executive director of the Environmental Rights Action/ Friends of the Earth Nigeria (ERA/FoEN), noted that the saying: "smokers are liable to die young" does not help to discourage the use of tobacco products.

"The saying: 'Smokers are liable to die young' does not speak to the real issue. It makes smoking look not so dangerous. It makes death from tobacco products look like a probability when the real message should have been that 'smoking kills,'" he declared.

He called for the enforcement of the National Tobacco Control (NTC) Regulation 2019 which seeks to discourage the use of tobacco products in the country.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel
Forum | 9 hours ago

Deadpool & Wolverine Director Says No MCU Knowledge Is Needed for Sequel

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’
Forum | 2 days ago

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’

I’m Grateful - Ini Edo Says As She Celebrates 42nd Birthday
Forum | 2 days ago

I’m Grateful - Ini Edo Says As She Celebrates 42nd Birthday

Jerry Seinfeld Says Movie Business Is ‘Over’
Forum | 2 days ago

Jerry Seinfeld Says Movie Business Is ‘Over’