I Was Very Close To Joining Chelsea – Roberto Carlos

Forum 3 years ago

I Was Very Close To Joining Chelsea – Roberto Carlos

Brazil legend Roberto Carlos has revealed that he was “very close” to joining Chelsea in 2007, only for the transfer to collapse at the last minute.

The former defender was a free agent at the time, having parted company with Real Madrid after 11 trophy-laden years at Santiago Bernabeu.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/69950f99574fd751a43300fb3d6e42a8.jpg

“I had two proposals, Fenerbahce and Chelsea,” Carlos told Goal after the Challenge Heineken Legends. “Chelsea didn’t work out so I signed for Fenerbahce.

“But, with Chelsea, it got very close. It was literally agreed and I just had to go there and sign the contract.

“It was just a week before I signed for Fenerbahce and I had been to Paris to meet both Roman Abramovich and (former chief executive) Peter Kenyon.

“Unfortunately, in the final moments something didn’t work out just before finalising, which happens a lot in football. There was an issue with the lawyer.

“It was all agreed, though, and I am 100 per cent sure I would have done well in the Premier League and it would have suited my characteristics.”

Carlos also revealed that he could even have ended up in England as a 22-year-old.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
FA Cup: ‘You want him in front of goal’ – Lampard hails Chelsea star
Forum | 4 days ago

FA Cup: ‘You want him in front of goal’ – Lampard hails Chelsea star

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge
Forum | 4 days ago

EPL: Brilliant signing – Redknapp backs Chelsea star to have good career at Stamford Bridge

SPORT 2 hours ago FA Cup Semi-Final: Why Chelsea lost to Man City – Pochettino
Forum | 4 days ago

SPORT 2 hours ago FA Cup Semi-Final: Why Chelsea lost to Man City – Pochettino

X-Men ’97 Directors Talk Potentially Joining X-Men MCU Reboot
Forum | 1 week ago

X-Men ’97 Directors Talk Potentially Joining X-Men MCU Reboot