I LIKE IT! Zidane Backs Real Madrid To Adapt To New Champions League Format

Forum 3 years ago

I LIKE IT! Zidane Backs Real Madrid To Adapt To New Champions League Format

Zinedine ZIdane has no issues with adapting to the new, condensed Champions League format to take place in August, should Real Madrid progress past Manchester City.

Madrid were defeated 2-1 by City at Santiago Bernabeu in the first leg of their last-16 tie in February, before football across Europe was put on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/661a79c1c7d4e996e2610f7f185bedaa.jpg

Matches in Europe’s top leagues – bar France, with the Ligue 1 season having been cancelled – is now returning, with the Bundesliga having restarted in May and the Premier League, Serie A and La Liga also returning to action this month.

On Wednesday, UEFA officially confirmed the Champions League campaign would be concluded with an eight-team competition to be held in Lisbon in August.

Quarter-final matches will take place from August 12-15, with the semi-finals on August 18 and 19 before the final at Estadio da Luz on August 23. The outstanding last-16 fixtures – including Madrid’s tie with City – are to be held on August 7-8, though it is yet to be decided where these games will take place.

And Zidane believes the solution proposed by UEFA is the best way to complete this season’s competition.

“We are living a special moment and everything will be special,” Zidane told a news conference ahead of Madrid’s La Liga clash with Valencia.

“We know the format, how it will be, but we still do not know where we will play the return leg against City.

“We will adapt. If it has to be in Lisbon or Manchester, we will play. First we are going to try to progress against City.

“The important thing is to play again and we are happy, but this formula for the Champions does not seem bad to me.

“I like it. It’s okay to decide everything in the same place.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
PDP NWC Backs Damagum As Acting National Chairman
Forum | 2 days ago

PDP NWC Backs Damagum As Acting National Chairman

Champions League: Mbappe names club he wants to win trophy with
Forum | 2 days ago

Champions League: Mbappe names club he wants to win trophy with

Premier League suits my style more than Serie A – Lookman
Forum | 2 days ago