Tottenham ‘Might Be Worst Team Jose Mourinho Has Inherited’

Forum 3 years ago

Tottenham ‘Might Be Worst Team Jose Mourinho Has Inherited’

Tony Cascarino believes the current crop of Tottenham players make up the worst squad ever inherited by Jose Mourinho.

Spurs’ Champions League hopes were left in tatters after a 3-1 defeat at Sheffield United on Thursday evening.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/de50517d9108502ce5bd91067438bcbc.jpg

Mourinho’s men are now seven points behind Wolves and Manchester United with six games to play and looking out of the race after Sander Berge, Lys Mousset and Oli McBurnie goals gave the Blades their first win since the restart.

At 1-0, Tottenham were denied an equaliser in what may go down as the most controversial VAR decision of the season, with Michael Oliver at Stockley Park ruling Lucas Moura had handled the ball after he was clumsily tripped in the build-up.

But Cascarino wasn’t surprised to see Spurs cut down to size by the Blades.

“This might be the worst squad Mourinho has ever inherited,” Cascarino wrote in The Times. “When he took over at Spurs in November he said that he was taking on a team that contained players he had tried to sign. I’d really like to know who he was referring to, because none of them look worth splashing the cash on.”

Mourinho has won major honours at every club since taking over at Porto in 2002, winning eight league titles and two Champions League crowns across spells at the Portuguese club, Chelsea, Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

He even won three trophies during his time at Manchester United, but Cascarino doubts silverware is around the corner for Tottenham.

He added: “If I was coaching a side about to face Tottenham, I would immediately pounce on the full backs as an area of weakness and this is exactly what Wilder did.

“It gets worse. The centre-half partnership is a disaster zone. When Mourinho, as Manchester United manager, prepared to face Ajax in the final of the Europa League in 2017, he identified Davinson Sánchez as a weak link and yet he is now placing faith in that very same player.”

As well as going on to label Eric Dier “slow and static”, Cascarino said Kane is now “neglecting his overall contribution.”

Spurs now sit just nine points off the top four with six games remaining.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United make Adarabioyo contact
Forum | 5 days ago

Transfer: Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United make Adarabioyo contact

Andy Samberg & Radio Silence to Team up for Upcoming Comedy
Forum | 5 days ago

Andy Samberg & Radio Silence to Team up for Upcoming Comedy

EPL: I want to coach top team – Fabregas hints at return to England
Forum | 6 days ago

EPL: I want to coach top team – Fabregas hints at return to England