Suarez: Barca Must Be Ready For Real Madrid Slip-up

Forum 3 years ago

Suarez: Barca Must Be Ready For Real Madrid Slip-up

Luis Suarez said Barcelona must be ready if La Liga leaders Real Madrid drop points as the title race nears its conclusion.

Two-time defending champions Barca kept their slim title hopes alive with a 1-0 victory over rivals Espanyol on Wednesday.

https://storage.waploaded.com/images/a1f433f78f44ca584aaca7242370ab19.jpg

Suarez scored the only goal of the match in the 56th minute to relegate Espanyol midweek, while moving Barca to within a point of Madrid.

Madrid can restore their four-point advantage against Deportivo Alaves on Friday and while Barca only have three games remaining, star forward Suarez insisted the Catalan giants have to be ready to pounce on any slip-ups.

“What we have to do is win our next three games,” Suarez, who moved third on Barca’s list of all-time scorers, said afterwards. “Whatever Madrid do is up to them.

“If the rival drops points then fantastic, we have to think about being there if they do.”

Barca were far from their best at Camp Nou, where substitute Ansu Fati was sent off after coming on at the start of the second half, while Espanyol’s Pol Lozano was also dismissed.

But Barca managed to extend their unbeaten run to nine games following back-to-back triumphs.

Suarez added: “We knew it was going to be difficult. We knew their situation. We have to be aware of the fact that we put in a great performance on Sunday and were still feeling the consequences of that physically. The important thing is to win and to get three more points.

“I think if I didn’t score in the first half or Barcelona didn’t create more chances, that’s virtue of the rival, who were very well organised.

“I think they make it difficult for Nelson Semedo and Jordi Alba to push up on the flanks. But eventually the chance came and I’m delighted to be able to take it.

“I didn’t see Ansu Fati’s [red card] because there was a player in the way and the other one I didn’t see either, there was another rival blocking my view.

“But in both cases VAR – which is there to help in these kind of situations – was able to help the referee to take the right decisions.”

After his goalscoring display in the 4-1 rout of Villarreal on Sunday, Antoine Griezmann was handed another start alongside Suarez and Lionel Messi.

“It’s the manager who takes the decision,” Suarez said. “He wanted to find a formula, it’s the formula he’s trying at the moment. It’s the first year of Antoine here so we know it’s difficult – the adaptation period. The other day we could all enjoy a brilliant performance from Antoine Griezmann.”

Espanyol knew anything but a derby victory at Camp Nou on Wednesday would relegate them to the second tier for the first time since 1994 but they were unable to preserve their top-flight status.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Ready or Not 2 Script Update Given by Director
Forum | 2 days ago

Ready or Not 2 Script Update Given by Director

Champions League: Man City vs Real Madrid at Etihad a final – Guardiola
Forum | 3 days ago

Champions League: Man City vs Real Madrid at Etihad a final – Guardiola

Transfer: Guardiola ready to pay EPL rivals £85m for midfielder
Forum | 5 days ago

Transfer: Guardiola ready to pay EPL rivals £85m for midfielder

Champions League: Why Haaland struggles to score against Real Madrid – Guardiola
Forum | 6 days ago

Champions League: Why Haaland struggles to score against Real Madrid – Guardiola