I Tried To Make Changes In Barcelona And Failed – Abidal

Forum 3 years ago

I Tried To Make Changes In Barcelona And Failed – Abidal

Eric Abidal insisted that he tried his hardest to make Barcelona a better-run football club but fell short in an open letter released following his resignation as technical director on Tuesday.

Abidal, who as a player at Camp Nou became a firm favourite, rejoined the Catalans in 2018 as the successor to Robert Fernandez in the role.

But his tenure coincided with a run of mixed results for the Blaugrana and severe criticisms of the club’s transfer policy, while Abidal was also questioned for a public exchange with captain Lionel Messi earlier in 2020 after appearing to criticise the team’s work-rate following the departure of Ernesto Valverde.

“Over the last two years, I tried to make changes that I thought were very important for the first team,” Abidal explained.

“But, despite my conviction and persistence, I failed. This second goodbye brings to a close two years where I tried to work to make Barcelona better.

“Two intense seasons which I decided to bring to an end on my own accord.

“Whilst the board gave me a vote of confidence on Monday, I provided my resignation on Tuesday, waiving the rights to the final year of my contract with Barcelona.

“The moment has come to draw a line under the link between me and the club.

“Right now the club’s situation is complicated, but be in no doubt that I hope with all my heart that it will recover and that success soon returns just as this great club deserves.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka
Forum | 3 days ago

Transfer: Barcelona to move for Chukwuemeka

I Once Tried To Copy Beyoncé - Singer, Fireboy
Forum | 3 days ago

I Once Tried To Copy Beyoncé - Singer, Fireboy

I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out
Forum | 1 week ago

I Didn’t Make A Penny At My Last Show Because People Were Scared Of Spraying Money — Rapper Speed Darlington Cries Out

Martin Scorsese Hoping to Make Frank Sinatra Biopic With Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence
Forum | 1 week ago

Martin Scorsese Hoping to Make Frank Sinatra Biopic With Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence