Adekunle Gold makes a swift deviaton from the ordinary in "Afropop Vol 1" album - REVIEW

Forum 3 years ago

Adekunle Gold makes a swift deviaton from the ordinary in "Afropop Vol 1" album - REVIEW

Veteran Nigerian singer and songwriter, Adekunle Gold formally known as 'Adekunle Kosokoso' delivers his highly anticipated album "Afropop Vol. 1".

The renowned virus ravaging all aspects of life, touring the world and curbing the demand for social gatherings like music concerts and festivals have left every commercial act back in the studio hoping to make something appealing to a depressed man. Boredom and depression hates noise but appreciates melodious sounds with authentic lyrics for the soul. The coronavirus pandemic which kept everyone at home for months as Nigerians maintained total lockdown to effectively enforce social distancing kept most people bored, depressed and broke.

Adekunle Gold being an alternative act hoping to switch to a genre like afrobeat and Afro fusion to meet up the demand needed an extra push to explore new sounds. He tapped into this opportunity to revisit his song books.

While most acts are struggling in the competitive industry, Adekunle Gold has been able to fine tune his sounds, embed the groovy chords that support his melodies to dish out a full body of work that might not truly define his signature sound. He has been able to take a sharp step away from his regular sounds in "Afropop Vol 1" as compared to his first and second studio albums "Gold" and "About 30" respectively.

• In "AG Baby" , Adekunle Gold links up with Trinidadian singer and songwriter, Nailah Blackman to render an appealing sound. Adekunle Gold seduces us into his new neigbourhood in a way we totally forget he has left his comfort zone.

• "You used to be the girl I know, Now i wish i can let you go", Adekunle Gold approaches his love "Sabina" in the best romantic way ever. This is a love song to get your lover back despite the issues you guys were having.

• Only Patoranking could have been able to lure Adekunle Gold into this groovy tune. "Pretty Girl" is a Jamaican vibe that is far from a regular Adekunle Gold sound but the chemistry between these two made this song lovely.

• In "Okay", Blaise Beatz gives Adekunle Gold another fascinating sound to lay his well thought lyrics. This is most definitely one of my favourite songs off Adekunle Gold's "Afropop Vol 1" album.

• Another solo performed song in this album that needs to get all the hype it could get is "Here For Ya". The drum kicks are rare, making the song less noisy and giving room for the tumpets and chords to set you on fire. Adekunle Gold once more backs up his decision to take a little move away from Alternative sounds.

• Olayinka Ehi join forces with Adekunle Gold to keep him on check. In "Exclusive" , Adekunle Gold reminds us he is a talented alternative singer and can still take all the awards in that genre. "Exclusive" is addictive. You can't help but appreciate the magic he created with Olayinka Ehi.

• "Body no be firewoood o.." Adekunle Gold cries out as he pleads for his lover to come heal him. Tekno obviously knows how to create groovy tunes like "Firewood" . If I'm to say, I'll recommend this song to everyone on my circle. It's a banger!

• This is when it all started. Adekunle Gold and Blaise Beatz seem to be the parents of AG Baby. The new looks and melodies dished out in "Something Different" is exceptional. Adekunle Gold is a lyricist and in "Something Different" , he reintertaed his lyrical prowess.

• 'Water carry me go' is more or less a cliche in Nigerian music industry. Almost all singers have used the line in atleast one of their songs. Anyways, Adekunle Gold takes up this line like its his and makes it his. No lover will disbelief you when you swear with drowning. "Water Carry Me" is another top jam in this project.

• The last song is tagged "My Ex" . Who could have thought that Adekunle Gold will fall for 'Okafor's law' and have a thing with his ex? Anyways he pleaded not to be judged so let's leave that way. Do make a listen to this song. The lyrics is catchy.

RATING

Lyrics - 4/5

Production - 4/5

Performance - 3/5

AVERAGE RATING - 3.5/5

REVIEWED BY DAT KULGEE

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
2face Doesn’t Live With His Sons, Burna Boy May Never Give Birth, Davido Kills Every Male Child He Comes Across - Brymo Makes Shocking Claims
Forum | 4 days ago

2face Doesn’t Live With His Sons, Burna Boy May Never Give Birth, Davido Kills Every Male Child He Comes Across - Brymo Makes Shocking Claims

Golden Axe Animated Series Ordered at Comedy Central
Forum | 1 week ago

Golden Axe Animated Series Ordered at Comedy Central

Comparing My Music to Adekunle Gold’s ‘Somewhat Shallow’ – Simi
Forum | 1 week ago

Comparing My Music to Adekunle Gold’s ‘Somewhat Shallow’ – Simi

Simi And Adekunle Gold Make Me Regret Being Single – Tiwa Savage
Forum | 1 week ago

Simi And Adekunle Gold Make Me Regret Being Single – Tiwa Savage