Willian Targets Champions League Glory With Arsenal

Forum 3 years ago

Willian Targets Champions League Glory With Arsenal

Willian says he joined Arsenal to win the Champions League and was convinced by coach Mikel Arteta’s desire to lead the Gunners to European glory.

The Brazilian winger joined Arsenal from London rivals Chelsea, signing a three-year contract. Willian spent seven years at Stamford Bridge and won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and a Europa League crown.

The 32-year-old has his heart set on the Champions League trophy, however, and he believes he can achieve it with Arsenal after talks with his new boss.

“One of the reasons I wanted a three-year deal was to be part of a plan, not just a player passing through,” Willian told The Sun. “When I talked with the manager he told me why he needed me for three years. It was that he first wanted to qualify for the Champions League and win it by the time I left. That was what I wanted to hear.

“I was at Chelsea for seven years and won everything except the Champions League. Hopefully this move will give me the trophy I haven’t got as well as another Premier League title.

“Maybe [I could have won it with Chelsea], but everyone knows what the problem was. They thought because I was coming to the age of 32 they couldn’t give me a three-year contract.

“I felt I had proved my fitness, that I was as good as ever and that I deserved that deal.

“Frank Lampard wanted me to stay. He was picking me in more games than I’d probably ever started there. Before, I was playing two games then being left on the bench, which I know is part of football, but I was enjoying myself playing more.

“The manager showed a lot of faith in me and I think I repaid it. But Arsenal have given me what I wanted and now I will show they have made a good decision.

“My age is no big thing. If you look after yourself, live right and train right, today’s players can still be at top level when they are 35. For me it is not a problem. I have a lot to play for with Brazil too and I want to be at the next World Cup. If I do well at Arsenal then that will happen.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Transfer: ‘They’re pushing, he’s top priority’ – Romano names player Arsenal want to sign
Forum | 6 hours ago

Transfer: ‘They’re pushing, he’s top priority’ – Romano names player Arsenal want to sign

EPL: They’re miles off Man City, Arsenal – Merson tells Chelsea two signings to make
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: They’re miles off Man City, Arsenal – Merson tells Chelsea two signings to make

Transfer: Chelsea targets Adarabioyo as replacement for Silva
Forum | 3 days ago

Transfer: Chelsea targets Adarabioyo as replacement for Silva

Arsenal’s Raya names striker better than Erling Haaland
Forum | 3 days ago

Arsenal’s Raya names striker better than Erling Haaland