Liverpool Players Are Not Talking About Winning Premier League – Henderson

Forum 3 years ago

Liverpool Players Are Not Talking About Winning Premier League – Henderson

Jordan Henderson says there has been no title talk at Liverpool ahead of the 2020-21 campaign, with the Reds focused on the present and future after securing a record-breaking Premier League last season.

That success brought a 30-year wait for English top-flight glory to a close at Anfield.

Jurgen Klopp’s side have savoured that triumph, with a lot of hard work finally being rewarded, but now face a quick turnaround in the defence of their crown.

The new campaign is due to get underway on September 12, with Liverpool opening up at home to Leeds, and everyone on the red half of Merseyside is looking to wipe the slate clean.

Club captain Henderson told the Reds’ official website: “To be honest, we haven’t spoken about it.

“It’s more about, ‘Have you enjoyed your holiday?’ We’ve been cracking on, really working hard. New season, new start and a lot more things we want to go on and achieve.

“[I’m] really excited to see what we can do this season, another big season for us. Hopefully we can take confidence from the last year or two but we need to stay hungry and need to keep the desire to go and want more.

“I can certainly see that from the first days that I’ve watched training in pre-season.”

Henderson is currently working his way back from a knee injury that brought his 2019-20 campaign to a premature conclusion.

He is unlikely to figure in a Community Shield clash with FA Cup winners Arsenal on Saturday, but is excited by the potential in Liverpool’s squad as they seek to keep their recent run of medal collecting going.

The England international midfielder said:

“You’ve got to look at the players in the squad and the manager as well, it’s always about looking forward and wanting more and improving.

“I think that’s just natural to us now. We’ve always looked at the next game as we always see it as the biggest one and that 90 minutes we give everything to win.

“Pre-season is no different, you know you’ve got to train so hard to be ready for the first game of the season, which for us comes against Arsenal in the Community Shield – so a little bit earlier than everybody else.

“We’ve got to be right at it come that first game and we’ve got another chance to win silverware. The Premier League starts pretty quick after that as well, so you need to be ready, as you do in every season. As I say, by the looks of it, we are.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Why Liverpool lost 2-0 to Everton – Klopp
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Why Liverpool lost 2-0 to Everton – Klopp

EPL: John Terry predicts positions Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool will finish
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: John Terry predicts positions Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool will finish

EPL: How Liverpool caused Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa – Alexander-Arnold
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: How Liverpool caused Arsenal’s 2-0 defeat to Aston Villa – Alexander-Arnold

Mohammed urges Tornadoes players to forget defeat to Doma United
Forum | 2 days ago

Mohammed urges Tornadoes players to forget defeat to Doma United