England Manager, Southgate Hints On Return Of Man Utd Captain, Maguire To The Squad

Forum 3 years ago

England Manager, Southgate Hints On Return Of Man Utd Captain, Maguire To The Squad

England coach, Gareth Southgate has confirmed that Manchester United captain, Harry Maguire is likely to return to The Three Lions squad in October despite his arrest in Greece last month.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/bc43cdafd084f269f1ed231cdcfb657f.png

Maguire was originally included in the squad for England’s Nations League matches against Iceland and Denmark when it was announced on August 25.

However, the defender was later given a suspended prison sentence of 21 months and ten days following a trial on the Greek island of Syros and Southgate was forced to drop him from the team.

The former Leicester City star was found guilty of repeated bodily harm, attempted bribery, violence against public employees and insult in a Greek court last month.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/96309ee4e9595fffd6d57353d1f88459.png

Maguire is currently appealing his conviction and sentencing.

Asked if he had spoken to Maguire since his omission and whether he would be considered for October’s matches against Wales, Belgium and Denmark, Southgate was quoted by ESPN as saying:

“Yes and yes. We have been in touch all the way through the last two-and-a-half weeks.

“It has been clearly a really difficult period for him, and I think the last few days have been very important for him to be able to relax, get away from all the attention and mentally get a rest.

“Of course, he had a short break anyway, but the events that happened in Greece really dominated that. I think he needed that switch off. He will be able to go back to his club and absolutely we will be looking to involve him in October.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
A Man in Full Trailer & Poster Preview Jeff Daniels-Led Netflix Series
Forum | 2 days ago

A Man in Full Trailer & Poster Preview Jeff Daniels-Led Netflix Series

Autopsy Begins On Remains Of Hotel Manager Allegedly Killed By Soldiers In Umuahia
Forum | 2 days ago

Autopsy Begins On Remains Of Hotel Manager Allegedly Killed By Soldiers In Umuahia

Velma Season 2 Trailer Previews Return of Mindy Kaling’s Animated Scooby-Doo Series
Forum | 3 days ago

Velma Season 2 Trailer Previews Return of Mindy Kaling’s Animated Scooby-Doo Series

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series
Forum | 3 days ago

Outer Range Season 2 Trailer Reveals Return of Josh Brolin Sci-Fi Series