President Jonathan Fulfilled His Power Promise - Says Minister Of Power

Forum 8 years ago

President Jonathan Fulfilled His Power Promise - Says Minister Of Power

The Minister of Power in Nigeria, Professor Chinedu Nebo, says President Goodluck Jonathan has fulfilled his promise of power to the people but for the ‘gas war’ which has remained an obstruction to steady supply of electricity.

Despite huge disenchantment by the people over the power situation, the Minister on Wednesday insisted that it could get better in the near future if the new government would tackle the issues of pipeline vandalism and adopt renewable energy
to generate more power.

A spokesman for the All Progressives Congress, Lai Mohammed, had put current power generation in Nigeria to a little above 1,000 megawatts for a population of over 160 million people.

The drop in generation in the last few months, had affected most businesses in Nigeria which rely hugely on electricity generating sets for power.

Channels Television’s correspondent, Gloria Ume-Ezeoke reports that government authorities have blamed Nigeria’s electricity power crisis that had further deteriorated in recent times on sabotage and insufficient gas to run the country’s power plants.

During the 2011 presidential campaigns, President Jonathan made a deluge of promises, including provision of steady power supply, raising the hope of Nigerians, who have for years been groping in darkness.

Despite the worsening situation, the Minister of Power said the government had done well for the sector but for a few lapses.

The government has opened up the sector with the unbundling of its stakes in the Power Holding Company of Nigeria in 2013 to allow private sector participation.

But more importantly, the outgoing administration has asked the incoming government, taking over on May 29, to treat the power challenge, with focus on pipeline vandalism.
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)
Forum | 2 days ago

What President Tinubu Told Me About My Removal As APC Chairman – Ganduje (Video)

Jurassic World: Jonathan Bailey in Talks for Lead Role in 2025 Movie
Forum | 3 days ago

Jurassic World: Jonathan Bailey in Talks for Lead Role in 2025 Movie

The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants Director Says ‘There Will Be Nudity’ in Animated Movie
Forum | 3 days ago

The SpongeBob Movie: Search for SquarePants Director Says ‘There Will Be Nudity’ in Animated Movie

Fear Women - Nigerian Man Says As he Declares Girlfriend Wanted For Stealing
Forum | 4 days ago

Fear Women - Nigerian Man Says As he Declares Girlfriend Wanted For Stealing