Kai Havertz opens up on 'pressure' of mega money move to Chelsea

Forum 1 year ago

Kai Havertz opens up on 'pressure' of mega money move to Chelsea

Kai Havertz has opened up about his £75.8m transfer to Chelsea in 2020, admitting that he felt 'pressure' due to the huge fee.

https://i0.wp.com/storage.waploaded.com/images/95d2b75b9a6bfbcb68e26c27737cb282.jpg

Havertz has been a staple of the Chelsea first team since making said mega money move to Stamford Bridge, and while his numbers haven't been outstanding at the club, for many fans he more than paid back his fee with a UEFA Champions League-winning goal against Manchester City during his first season.

Speaking to the Guardian, the Germany international discussed how the move came about, as well how he felt during his first season at the Blues.

Havertz pointed to his relationship with Jorginho and how he was surprised by his January move to Arsenal, recalling: "He calls me one evening and says: ‘I’m gone.’ I was like: ‘What the? How is this possible?’

"This is how quick things change. It’s a human thing. You just have to accept it, it’s football. It’s my sixth year as a professional and my seventh coach: in Germany I had four or five and it’s three at Chelsea. A dozen players arrived since the summer; it’s not easy. Enzo [Fernandez] and [Mykhailo] Mudryk have come for a lot of money and they’re only [22], you know? You cannot expect them to be Neymar straight away. It’s like me: it takes time.

"For me the price was a big thing. I was Chelsea’s most expensive player. I don’t understand how so much money is paid but it is normal in football: look at our recent transfers. That brings pressure because people think you are Messi. I was still 20, 21.

"People don’t see that; they see the price so you have to be great from day one. You can feel it, the tension. You read it, hear it."

Havertz and Chelsea are back in action this weekend when they face off against Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Enugu Mourns Junior Pope, Opens Condolence Register
Forum | 2 days ago

Enugu Mourns Junior Pope, Opens Condolence Register

EPL: 11 Chelsea players miss training ahead of Everton clash
Forum | 6 days ago

EPL: 11 Chelsea players miss training ahead of Everton clash

The Fear Of Being Mocked Kept Me Silent – Nollywood Actor, Jamiu Azeez, Opens Op On Battle With Depression
Forum | 6 days ago

The Fear Of Being Mocked Kept Me Silent – Nollywood Actor, Jamiu Azeez, Opens Op On Battle With Depression

UCL: Declan Rice, Havertz risk suspension ahead of Bayern Munich clash
Forum | 1 week ago

UCL: Declan Rice, Havertz risk suspension ahead of Bayern Munich clash