Vigilante Accidentally Shots Self Dead While Trying To Scare Thieves In Lagos

Forum 8 years ago

Vigilante Accidentally Shots Self Dead While Trying To Scare Thieves In Lagos

Ogundare Ekundayo who was a member of a neighbourhood watch, was one of a three-man team guarding Osholanke Street, Ebute Meta.
Ogundare accidentally shot himself dead while attempting to scare away thieves from the Ebute-Meta area of Lagos State.

It was gathered that around 4am, when they were expected to round off guarding the area, Ekundayo reportedly shot into the air to scare away any thief that might be in the area as was the vigilante's’ custom.

However, when he fired the shot, the bullet hit an object which ricocheted it towards him and struck him in the head.

His duty colleague, Fatai Raimi, reportedly ran to the spot upon hearing the shot, and discovered the victim dead.

The matter was immediately reported at the Denton Police Division while Ekundayo’s remains were taken to the Mainland General Hospital mortuary.

The police arrested Raimi, who insisted that he was innocent.

Raimi said:“I have known the deceased for some time now. He was my boss; he recruited me into the vigilance group, but we were employed by the community.

“There were three of us guarding Osholanke Street, but the third person did not come that day because he was ill.

“My master (Ekundayo) and I were together, but when it was getting to 4am, he went down the street alone.

“I suddenly heard a shot from his gun and I rushed there only to see he had mistakenly shot himself dead.”

A source said the victim was not properly trained on how to use a gun.

He said:“The man was not trained to use a gun. He did not handle it well and when he opened fire, apparently to tell the residents they were done for the day and to scare any thief, the bullet hit him instead.

“But one thing that is also not clear is how the man and his team had access to a gun. We are investigating all these.”

Ogundare's corpse was said to have been released to the family for burial, while the suspect was transferred to the State Department of Criminal Investigation.

The Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Joe Offor, when contacted on the incident said he would call back. But he had yet to do so as of the time of filing this report.
[ads4]

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Lagos Govt Arrests 25 Suspected Miscreants, Including Lebanese Squatting Under Bridges
Forum | 2 hours ago

Lagos Govt Arrests 25 Suspected Miscreants, Including Lebanese Squatting Under Bridges

Woman Who Shot Her Nigerian Husband Dead In The US To Appear Before Court In May
Forum | 4 hours ago

Woman Who Shot Her Nigerian Husband Dead In The US To Appear Before Court In May

Vigilante Kills Popular Restaurant Owner In Enugu
Forum | 4 hours ago

Vigilante Kills Popular Restaurant Owner In Enugu

Shock As Woman Wheels Her Dead Uncle
Forum | 4 hours ago

Shock As Woman Wheels Her Dead Uncle's Corpse Into Bank And Tries To Get Him To "Sign Off" Loan In Her Name