Gunshots As Kingmakers, Traditionalists Clash Over Two ‘Kings’ In Osun Community

Forum 1 month ago

Gunshots As Kingmakers, Traditionalists Clash Over Two ‘Kings’ In Osun Community

Iree community in Boripe Local Government Area of Osun State is currently facing a brewing crisis due to the emergence of two kings, The Nation reports.

Recall during the administration of former Governor Adegboyega Oyetola, he appointed Oba Ademola Ponle for the town.

But Governor Ademola Adeleke suspended Ponle and constituted a committee to review the appointment.

After one year, Adeleke issued a White Paper and ordered a fresh selection process which produced Prince Muritala Oyelakin from the Oyekun ruling house as the new Aare of Iree.

It was gathered the rites for Oba-elect commenced on Friday as he visited some places in the town led by some leaders of the community.

In a video obtained by The Nation, the Oba-elect visited the Odofin’s house(seclusion) and later left for other rites.

It was alleged that during the rite, the leaders of the community broke into the seclusion house which had been locked after the emergence of Oba Ponle.

There were several gunshots in the community which raised apprehension during the traditional rites for Oba Oyelakin.

Reacting to the appointment of the new king, the head of kingmakers, Asalu of Iree, Chief Taiwo Oguntobi told The Nation: “I am the head of the traditionalists in Iree town, I am not part of the process for the selection of the new king appointed by the government.

“The traditional rites for any king should commence from the deity that I am in charge of but nothing of such. They used cutlasses to break into the house of Odofin(seclusion) today. The family of Odofin were opposed to that.

“We, the representatives of the community who ought to be there are not present for any rites for the newly appointed king. If they want to make anybody king in Iree, Asanlu, Odofin and Olu-Ode must be present.

“The Oogboni, Olosun group must be represented, including the six Iwarafara. But with this new king, nothing of such, none of these people were present.

“The authentic king for Iree town is Oba Ademola Ponle, we all supported him. We have performed all rites for him any other person aside from him is fake. The rite that authenticates king has been given to Oba Ponle, and another one can’t be reproduced unless he dies.”

But Oba Oyelakin told newsmen in Iree: “After the government appointed me, I entered the town yesterday, I came with many people into the town. I went round the town to register my presence. I informed the kingmakers. We started the rite at Asalu deity where all traditional chiefs were present including the Iwaramefa. I slept at one of the places of the rite with the chiefs from 10 pm to 10 am.

“The rites were witnessed by sons and daughters of the Iree community. The President of the Iree Progressive Union was also present. The rite was led by the Odofin of the town.

” I visited the Odofin house, but I did not enter, I just step my feet at the entrance three times. There was no crisis in town at all, the residents were happy about my appointment. The gunshots are just part of our tradition. I have plans to bring investors into the town.”

Contacted, Oba Ponle said: “I am the authentic king of Iree, I have all the instruments of office with me.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush
Forum | 19 hours ago

Residents Flee As Soldiers Leave Niger Community After Deadly Ambush

Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos
Forum | 1 day ago

Family Demands Justice For 38-Year-Old Transporter Who Died During Clash Between NURTW, Land Grabber In Lagos

Nollywood Community Holds Candlelight Service for Junior Pope, Others
Forum | 3 days ago

Nollywood Community Holds Candlelight Service for Junior Pope, Others

OAUTHC admission into school of community health for 2024/2025 academic session
Forum | 5 days ago

OAUTHC admission into school of community health for 2024/2025 academic session