Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers

Forum 2 weeks ago

Omeruo urges NFF to appoint new coach for Super Eagles before World Cup qualifiers

Super Eagles defender, Kenneth Omeruo, has called on the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to sort out the appointment of new head coach for the team as soon as possible.

The three-time African champions are still without a substantive head coach after Portuguese Jose Peseiro left the post at the end of February.

Former international winger, Finidi George took charge of the team for the friendlies against Ghana and Mali last month.

Omeruo, who plays for Turkish club, Kasimpasa however said it is important to have a new head coach in place for the team’s next 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Bafana Bafana of South Africa and Squirrels of Benin.

“We started the World Cup qualifiers poorly, and that’s on us as players, but I do believe we have the quality to qualify for the World Cup. But we need to sort out the issue of head coach real quickly because June is just around the corner,” Omeruo told Brila.

The centre-back also reiterated his support for Finidi to get the job on a permanent basis.

“I don’t know about everyone, but for me and a few others, he (Finidi) did well. He was short-staffed. Only one coach working as an analyst, training without an assistant,” Omeruo added.

“I like that he kept the same system we used at the AFCON. But against Mali, I would have played everyone, give everyone a chance to play, and maybe things would have turned out differently, and he would be a strong contender for the job.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement
Forum | 3 days ago

New Evil Dead Movie Gets Writer-Director, Sami Rami Issues Statement

Davido Flaunts New $200K Diamond Encrusted Teeth
Forum | 3 days ago

Davido Flaunts New $200K Diamond Encrusted Teeth

XO Kitty Season 2 Cast Adds 3 New Actors as Filming Begins
Forum | 3 days ago

XO Kitty Season 2 Cast Adds 3 New Actors as Filming Begins