Family says Pakistan to execute paraplegic man within days

Forum 8 years ago

Family says Pakistan to execute paraplegic man within days

A wheelchair-bound murderer will be executed in Pakistan this week - despite being granted an earlier reprieve because he could not stand on the gallows.

Paraplegic inmate Abdul Basit, has been paralysed from the waist down and uses a wheelchair since contracting meningitis in prison in Faisalabad in 2010.

According to his lawyer and family, the 43-year-old has been on death row since 2009 after being convicted of killing a man over a financial dispute in Punjab province.
[ad4]
But his planned execution was halted in September at the last moment because he could not stand in the gallows - prompting speculation that officials would hang him in his wheelchair.

On Saturday, Basit's mother Nusrat Perveen said jail officials asked her to have a final meeting with her son on Tuesday before he is hanged the following morning.

'I am in a state of shock. I appeal to the president and prime minister of Pakistan to pardon my son on medical and humanitarian grounds,' she told The Associated Press.
The decision has been widely condemned by rights groups.

'It is bewildering that Pakistan has revived its appalling plans to hang a man who is unable to stand,' said Maya Foa, director of the death penalty team at Reprieve, an international human rights organization.
'Nothing has changed since Basit's execution was halted earlier this year, on the grounds that his disability could mean that he might suffer from a prolonged, needlessly cruel execution,' she said.
Sara Belal, a lawyer at the Justice Project Pakistan legal aid group, also condemned the decision to once again schedule Basit for execution.

Basit's mother said she sent a mercy petition to the president weeks ago to pardon her son but received no reply.

'In September, jail officials were taking my son toward the gallows on his wheelchair when his execution was halted on medical grounds,' she said.

Perveen said she saw rope scars on the wrists of her son when she met with him a week after the halting of his execution. 'I am again waiting for a miracle to happen,' she said.

Pakistan's president has the constitutional authority to pardon any convicted person.

Daily Mail

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’
Forum | 1 day ago

Ben Stiller Says He Was ‘Affected’ by Zoolander 2 Responses: ‘I Thought Everybody Wanted This’

Family Members Of Bride-to-be Stop Kidnap Attempt, Kill Terrorist, Seize Two Ak-47 Rifles
Forum | 1 day ago

Family Members Of Bride-to-be Stop Kidnap Attempt, Kill Terrorist, Seize Two Ak-47 Rifles

30-year-old Man Defiles Landlady
Forum | 1 day ago

30-year-old Man Defiles Landlady's 13-year-old Daughter In Rivers

Civil Servants Get 2 Days Weekly To Farm In Bayelsa
Forum | 1 day ago

Civil Servants Get 2 Days Weekly To Farm In Bayelsa